- Short wedding update: We don’t know anything about anything. Due to a recent sudden adjustment down to one income in my family, our vision for this wedding has really changed. However, I’m trying to stay positive, keep and open mind, and not be afraid to ask for help! This process is really testing our networking and connections. I know everyone says that “it’s who you know,” but, really, it’s who you know. I’m adjusting and trying to be flexible. I know I started off the first couple weeks of being engaged getting so far ahead, but now I feel like I’m back behind square one. Send good vibes my way. I’m waiting to be led to all the answers!
- The deadline for my graduate school application is Saturday, and I have everything turned in! This feels so good. I have no idea whether or not I’m actually going to go, but I applied to start in Fall 2015, so I have time to take a break, enjoy getting married, seek other certifications/training, and generally just figure all that out later.
- Most of you have probably needed to obtain a letter of recommendation for college or grad school or whatever. I remember how great it felt to read the letters I needed from high school teachers for undergrad applications, but did you know that you can’t read them for grad school applications? Either the professors send them straight to the grad admissions office, or they have to seal it in an envelope with their signature over the seal and I have to deliver it. DO YOU KNOW how hard it is not to just crack open that sucker and read it? I’m so bummed I’ll never know what my favorite professors said about me! =]
- Also: Bummer of the day story! I had a few extra minutes before I needed to leave for class this morning, so I was browsing Twitter and saw that my school had posted about a career fair they were hosting today (no times or anything, just what room it was in). I frantically dug up my resume, dusted it off and updated it (btw I’m really proud of it now), printed a dozen copies, and ran out the door. I ended up being late to my class by a couple minutes and didn’t have time to grab coffee or breakfast. As soon as my class ended at 1 I ran over to the career fair – only to be told it had just ended at 1. So that was lame. Right after, I called a restaurant I had applied to last week and they told me they’re not hiring (of course they aren’t – it’s the slow season for every business). Sigh. I wonder what it’s like to work doing something you love.
- The pants I wore to look nice at the career fair did not allow me to wear my boots today, so all this walking around campus has left mud and salt and slush sprayed up on the back of my pant legs. Whomp whomp.
- I don’t know why, but lately I’ve been hearing a lot of really self-judgmental voices in my head. It’s really unhelpful. Every time I hear one I just respond with the opposite of what it said. Winter blues, maybe.
- I just got some gratitude pen pals! One of my all-time favorite gals, Brandy, has been emailing 3 simple things she is grateful for every day with her friend Amber for more than a year now. In my research as a wellness major, I know that just simply writing things down that you’re grateful for every day is extremely good for your psyche and attitude. I reached out on Twitter to ask for partners, and a couple people and I have started this practice. I’m happy to be investing in my attitude and promoting my own positive psychology!
- My laughter class is one I’ve mentioned a couple times previously, but I will continue to do so because I can’t even believe this is a class at my university. Last week, we spent a whole class period watching Bill Cosby stand-up routines. Last Wednesday, my professor walked in and said “today, we’ll focus on babies and children and the effects of laughter in those populations.” I was expecting an actual lecture that day. NOPE – we spent an hour watching baby videos on Youtube. On Monday, we spent the first 45 minutes of class all looking up funny Youtube commercials (Bad Lip Reading took the cake!).
This is a real class, guys.
- I wanted to cut back on my subscription boxes this month, but it’s Valentine’s month coming up, so I’m just way too hopeful that all my boxes will be good ones!
- Everyone’s said it, but: IT’S COLD. All this bundling up while walking around and never ever taking my coat off and always having my feet be cold is just making me feel like I live in a constant state of… feeling cumbersome? Yeah. It’s just cumbersome to move around feeling cold and constricted all the time.
Good news: Even though I missed the career fair, at least I accidentally look professional for a presentation in my laughter class.
Join me in trying to stay positive, everyone. It’s not easy but just consciously making the effort helps your brain and attitude!